It is currently 29. Sep 2020, 19:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: absolute truth
PostPosted: 23. Oct 2010, 16:44 

is it logical to not believe in something if it cannot be proven 100% that it is true?

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: absolute truth
PostPosted: 23. Oct 2010, 19:55 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

To my mind, I don't see anything bad about such an attitude towards such things, doesn't matter what it is. That is a very healthy human sense and one more attribute, that characterises us. And if you are aiming at the religion and god and stuff, then I have to tell you that sometimes it's better to have something you can believe in.
Victor Frankl set up a thesis with one major point "When there is no god, all bounds break and the chaos would reign the world". What he meant with that is pretty simple: God is our limit. He set up limits for us and at the time, where it's 100% sure, that a god has never existed the fundamentalists would rage and run out on the street, killing and stealing. But that is only a hypothesis ^^

I wonder what other people think about it. Imo, as I said, it's only natural.

"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my feet be swift, and my aim be true. And should the worst come to pass....grant me forgiveness."
(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23. Oct 2010, 23:29 
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Gaegamel wrote:
Victor Frankl set up a thesis with one major point "When there is no god, all bounds break and the chaos would reign the world". What he meant with that is pretty simple: God is our limit. He set up limits for us

God gave us a free will. Our conscience is only barrier.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24. Oct 2010, 05:31 

The correct answer is that it is both logical and illogical.
It is logical because without 100% proof, we cannot be certain about anything.
It is illogical because NOTHING in this world (other than mathematical proofs) have been proven to be true 100%

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24. Oct 2010, 07:23 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Duckne55 wrote:
is it logical to not believe in something if it cannot be proven 100% that it is true?

I would say nothing in this world is certain until you prove it yourself. Only the methods which you are using can bring you closer or further from the truth.
God is merely something divine and perfect being, meaning it is something the human race always wanted to reach. Also there are people that are weak in crucial moments but they fight on because they believe in something greater than them that exists so they can too one day reach that. In my opinion the people believing in God can't bear the problems the world provides and need something to hope for.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24. Oct 2010, 07:45 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

You generalize too much, frozen. According to your opinion, all who believe in god, are mentally sensitive. But you must also see it from their perspective. Some of them might have a bad life and the only thing, that gives them hope is gd. An assuming, he didn't exist will let them fall even more depressive what ledads to frustration and to anger in the end. I highly doubt whenever a scientist would find out god doesn't exist and could proof it he would keep it as a secret, because of the immense side-effects of that discovery.

"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my feet be swift, and my aim be true. And should the worst come to pass....grant me forgiveness."
(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 24. Oct 2010, 19:37 
V.I.P
V.I.P

What I believe in is that Gods and Creators are creations of the mind because people need someone to look up somewhere in the void of their mind, but maybe later on in their life when the person believes that they can step up on their own is when they stop believing in an upper power, but in themselves.

On topic: Was reading my brother's university introductory to Psychology text book (back in his 2nd year of Uni haha) just for the fun of it, and a question that strikes is that is there even such a thing called common sense or Logic. In people's mind, people will think something is logical depending on their own version of the meaning, no one will take the word Logic's meaning word for word but will define it with their own twist. Of course nothing can be 100% true unless like what Duckne said with mathematical problems but of course there is always uncertainty in everything in the World. So like what Duckne said, it is both logical and illogical

@Stalker

Can you prove what perfection is? If he is a perfect being and that we Humans are created in his image, how come we are not perfect as well? Perfection is a Human Idea that can never be truly grasped because it is not possible for us to be 'Perfect' so in a sense it can be an abstract idea.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 25. Oct 2010, 06:57 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Gaegamel wrote:
You generalize too much, frozen. According to your opinion, all who believe in god, are mentally sensitive. But you must also see it from their perspective. Some of them might have a bad life and the only thing, that gives them hope is gd. An assuming, he didn't exist will let them fall even more depressive what ledads to frustration and to anger in the end. I highly doubt whenever a scientist would find out god doesn't exist and could proof it he would keep it as a secret, because of the immense side-effects of that discovery.

You obviously got me a bit wrong (it seems that there are a lot of online people that point out to my side of describing things bad). I'm not saying that all who believe in god are bad or are all crazy. I'm just saying about my conclusion of the world I see and hopefully understand correct. And I agree with you, even if a scientist would discover such a thing, people would create another imagination of something that represents God.
@Fatal Can I prove what perfection is? Certainly not. By my point of view a perfect being is something created by the human's mind that he strives to achieve. And as we all know there must be a moment in your life that you will do something wrong, so I'm afraid perfection is only a fantasy.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 19. Jan 2011, 11:45 
Corporal
Corporal

Quote:

well the cat is alive and its only 50% not 100% but you believe^)

Report this post

PostPosted: 19. Jan 2011, 23:27 
Sergeant
Sergeant

*coughnecrocough*

click the ones below plz =D
Image Image

Report this post
 Profile E-mail