It is currently 26. Aug 2019, 09:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: An Update.
PostPosted: 18. Aug 2012, 17:18 
V.I.P
V.I.P

I have already posted this on the facebook page for Survival and the fanpage but not here yet.

There are a few things I would like to talk about.

1. FrozenStalker will begin work on the "final" update of Survival sometime Mid-September. This update will include various bug fixes and optimizations in the system to be more efficient and cause less in-game pauses or freezes. New content will be added such as the pet system for the "final" version. When I mean "final", it means the final update with content, if bugs continue to be reported, small updates will be made with bug fixes but that is all.

This will be the final update for Warcraft version of Survival because of second thing I would like to talk about.

2. A team of 4 people has officially started working on a standalone version of Survival (Its own game).

The team is currently:

FrozenStalker (Team Leader, Programmer)
K_0wn3d_D (Programmer, Artist)
Tuga (Programmer)
Fatalflames [Me] (Team Manager, Modeller/Artist)

We plan to create the game using the Game Engine Unity and some work has already been started such as outlines of needs to be done and some conceptual artwork.

The gameplay will hopefully be similar to what we already have for Warcraft but will try to implement new materials to make the game feel more like a standalone game.

Things we will try to add in are:

-No more save codes, info will be retrieved from a server or offline file dedicated to the game
This was a big thing for warcraft, you would type -save and you get a code, you start a new game and you type -load with your code, by making a standalone you will not have to deal with this anymore now! Another thing that was worrying was how the rise of hackers created illegitimate codes without the experience of the points they have or the rank. A standalone should help deal with this now as hackers would have deal with more now instead of just a code.

-Drop-in/Drop-out between occurring missions
This is a pretty big thing, say you are fighting a boss and start the fight with 6 people and half your team ends up dying, this leaves you with 3 people and the next planets difficulty is way harder (love that difficulty curve in Survival), what we want to bring now is a way so that your squad drops in onto another planet once you beat the one you currently on and join up with another squad that is also lacking in man power from likely a similar scenario. We will also make sure that players that are dropping in are playing on the same difficulty and within the same level range.

-Different Camera View Options with different action/commands (more action orientated in third person, more tactical in the birds eye view like warcraft
A thing about the camera view in warcraft 3 for Survival was that it was using birds eye view, birds eye view you can see everything that is going on. The swarm coming to you, what your team mates are doing, who needs help, what equipment your team needs, you gain a lot of knowledge with this view. A new camera view we would like to add is a third person view, in third person its a lot more action orientated, if you are a marine, you actually move and click to shoot and also the perspective changes the feel of the game. With different camera views, you have different action commands as well, in tactical view you can check all your abilities, do your profession a lot easier, just click to move and attack. In third person view, its a lot more action orientated, skills are used from key sequences or timing. So this is to give different experiences, you can choose whichever view you want and it should be a seamless transition of the camera.

-Random terrain generation for every surface of a planet and also unique terrain maps created for certain special scenarios
This is also a huge point we want to talk about, every game in Survival for warcraft 3, its always the same terrain, the flat surface everyone is so used to and it seems pretty iconic too. We want to change that as every planet should have a different surface and environment and random terrain generation should help with this. Unique maps and surfaces will also be produced for surfaces where people just start up say like a city.

-Unique character designs, be able to customize detail on armor for different hero types, or different clothing styles for the same class
This is a point has some meaning, what we want to do is create more details for armour and be able to have players feel more unique and not have the same suit of armour or clothing, the only point that still needs to be talked about is how team colouring would work, if it would be set up by the system so everyone is organized already, or everyone picks their own colour which can cause some problems. Will be talked more about in the future.

-Maybe a in-game cash shop for decorative stuff (new decals for armors,weapons, etc) but will still have a range of unique decorative options when you start the game
This point speaks for itself, but something we want to stress about is that there will not be any in-game enhancing items as these generally always make a game turn out for the worst. If we do add in a cash shop, it will be used mainly for decorative items for your character

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: An Update.
PostPosted: 18. Aug 2012, 19:42 
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

wooohooo!

good luck guys!

btw. how about secrets? i mean god rank, bloody larvas etc.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 18. Aug 2012, 20:06 
Corporal
Corporal

O yes the secrets must be maintained. And can we look to forward to any new ones to find?

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 18. Aug 2012, 20:56 
V.I.P
V.I.P

Secrets are going to be a interesting thing to deal with, it was possible to do secrets in warcraft well because of how the path for planets was simple, but to do it with a standalone game it needs a lot more thinking and planning. Like in warcraft 3, oh you dig up H2O, and then you do your thing and bam, you got secret. But now we have to make it feel more rewarding and more variety and random as the game will be a lot bigger, like you may start in different cities on Earth, but then you move onto planets that are way out of our galaxy.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 18. Aug 2012, 21:02 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

qwerty wrote:
O yes the secrets must be maintained. And can we look to forward to any new ones to find?

It wouldn't be a secret, if they talked about it earlier, don't you agree? ^^

Anyway, if you want to hear my point of view to this (i know, I'm pretty quiet lately):

The idea of a standalone Survival game has some pros and cons. Let's neglect the technical stuff. You can always get a good server to host your games and stuff like that. You can also find some cloud-storage for a decent amount of money (i.e. Minecraft's cloudsystem hosted by Amazon). A clear pro is certainly the independence of any other engine what is a great thing, because the game could finally handle more than 100 units on a spot without causing lags or anything alike. Another pro linked to the beforementioned is the aspect of technical freedom and cross-server and cross-pc handling of maps/parties/whatever. There is a huge possibility in it. For example, you can add eachother as freinds and you could have more than 30 (not really sure, how the team will handle this, but I'm optimistic). Moreover, the project might finally reach a wider field of players. In example, DotA2 has reached more people than DotA (the original!). League of Legends is currently the best example, though. They have worked itself from a small standalone version for DotA to the most played game 2012.

However, a con is the exceptionally large amount of time, you have to put into the engine so it throws out a valid output. You would also need to program the client and the server properly to not cause lags and stability issues by yourself. Of course, Wc3 had these issues as well (and I know, what I'm talking about). But they provided the editor(s) (Masa, duckne55 or me) with a half-way stable engine with limitations.

Still, I support this project (atleast mentally...cannot help out in any way. University is approaching and my programing skills are below 0). I also recommend it to all people who like and support Survival. They are trying to finish something that I never could. And I deeply respect them for it. Thus, support them as well. If it'll be with ideas, money, hardware (server, etc...) or your own programing abilities.

That's all for now from me.

Sincerely Yours.
Gaegamel/Stefan

"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my feet be swift, and my aim be true. And should the worst come to pass....grant me forgiveness."
(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 31. Aug 2012, 08:31 
Private
Private

It's very nice to hear that Survival isn't dead AND that you guys will go to a Standalone.
You make me very happy with it. Hope you make a revolution of this game.
If you need help in any way, just ask the community, i think they will help you in any way possible.

It would be nice to get maybe weekly updates on Facebook (and here of course) to have more information about your finish level :)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 5. Sep 2012, 08:29 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Considering we haven't properly started working on this (as mentioned above) we don't have anything to show right now. But we will figure something out to satisfy your needs of information.
And it's very nice to hear that the community is still there for us. :)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30. Dec 2012, 19:52 
Private
Private

What is this?
Why didn't anyone tell me?
Where will you feed us news, here?

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 4. Jan 2013, 21:52 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

The news will be fed here, if we do change it, we will inform you here about that.

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 5. Apr 2013, 00:59 
Major
Major

are you all dead or are you all dead ? :?:

Report this post
 Profile E-mail