It is currently 19. Sep 2020, 16:32

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

AuthorMessage
 Post subject: [Commander]Beginner Guide
PostPosted: 21. Feb 2010, 18:43 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hi

In this Guide, I will explain you my personal favorites of researching and what they have for pros and cons.
I have to mention before, that this is my way of researching and that I'm also forced to change my strategy, as soon something important is happening (death of a crew-member, that would have supported me or something like that).
At the end of each strategy, I will list ways of changing it for special cases. So you don't need to think long for a new way of researching. To make your job easier, activate "autorepair", before you leave the battleship and if noone else did, buy 4x lumber for your constructer. If you don't do, you have 100 g more for research ^_^

Note: Very important facts have been colored to simplify the guide. If you still want to read the other facts, then it's good, because you learn the background or some other things, you might use to customize your own research strategy.

Now to the guide itself:

FAQ
How can I become commander? - Step on the left cyrcle in the bottom part of the Battleship (when onboard).

Are there any requirements to become commander? - Yes. You have to have the rank of a Corporal or higher at least.

I want to resign, but can't. What did I do wrong and when can i do it again? - Don't panic, all is fine. Once you used the "Teleport to Battleship"-skill you have to wait until it recharged to be able to resign again. This is no bug.

My team doesn't want to support me financially. What to do? - I recommend that you don't start raging. Instead, try to convince them to send you money. The most common reason would be: support for the team in a later game.

I have two methods of researching. The first method is the "Solo-Commander-Research", the second the "God-Commander-Research"

The methods

"Solo-Commander-Research" (SCR):
The SCR is a way for a commander to guarantee a proper increase of the salary, while not loosing too much gold for every research or construction. This method is highly recommended to games, where you only have 1 high-rank (and you may guess, who it is) or 1-2 middle-ranks (CWO to Captain). In short: twice as much newbies, than experienced. Concrete salary amount: 25-60g/interval.

The way for the SCR:

A good beginning is always to research Science to level 5. This guarantees a good set of research available and also guarantees a long pause between the next steps. This may take up to 3-5 minutes and allows to help the group. I recommend, you take an easy profession to exploit the time for the researchs. The faster you reach a high level of commerce, the less you need to think about salary. But this is another part, that will be explained in detail.
Now, we have the base for our build. It's time for the real research now.
At the beginning, the SCR method is really limited in researching, because you can't expect, someone giving you money (or let's say: you don't expect it). If people do, it makes your life easier and you don't need to follow this guide so strictly.

Anyway: Research Habitat and Commerce now. The ratio is important, because it guarantees a very good increase of salary in an optimal peroid of time. My experiences showed, that a ratio of 2:1 (for every 2 researchs of Habitat one for Commerce) proved well.
However, don't do that for too long. Try to stop at 2 Commerce/4 Habitat for the beginning.
The problem with salary is cleared now. If you want, you can research Construction once to enable the basic buildings. For now, keep the researches as they are.
Instead, start to construct the Medical Facility and the Training Centre. They should consume about 16-22g/interval. Now, I recommend to research some more Habitat and Commerce, since you need the salary badly. So research 2x Habitat and 2x Commerce (the lack of population at the beginning shouldn't exist anylonger. Same to the lack of salary and money at all).
And so it's up to you, what to do with the money. I recommend: Construct the buildings, that are left (especially the Science Laboratoy will help a lot). And until you haven't got twice the amount of what a single building drains from your gold as salary, I wouldn't start to research a new level of Construction. Because the consumption of gold FOR EACH BUILDING will double after each research of Construction.
For the rest of the game, try to have a constant salary of at least 1x drain of 1 single building/interval.

Now to the "God-Commander-Research"-method (GCR):

The GCR is almost the same as the SCR is, but more freely. Start with researching Science 5 or 6.
After that, research Commerce 1 and Habitat 2 (IMPORTANT: Begin with Habitat, since you can use the research time of the Commerce to have a passive increase of population.)
If you haven't researched at least Construction, research it.
Now you start all available constructions. If you want, you can also research Construction level 2 to fasten up the Constructions.
If your money runs low, ask for money. BUT DO IT IN TIME AND NOT, IF YOUR MONEY HITS 0 AND ALL CONSTRUCTIONS GET ABORTED.
Research Commerce level 3 and Habitat level 6 to improve the increase of salary

You're done with the complex work ^_^

Advantages and disadvantages of the methods

SCR
[+] You are independent from other member's gold-presents.
[+] You learn how to handle your money -> chance of wasting it for a wrong research.
[+] If you are good enough, you can use your time to help your group
[!] Your main researchs will be: Habitat/commerce
[-] You need a long time to get a high salary
[-] You might make your teammates angry, because you construction takes time

GCR
[+] You don't need to look on your researchs that strictly
[+] You construct buildings faster, than with the SCR
[!] Your main researchs will be: Science/Construction
[-] You are very dependent of money-presents

Cases, where you need the strategy and what is best way

SCR
- A crewmember died, who supported you with money: Nothing special, but to whine about the guy and some of the money, he could have sent you in future
- You researched Construction too often or you are constructing too many buildings and lost a lot of money, because you didn't get it: Try to save some money, by cancelling researchs and ask for some money. If noone sends you some, save some more money and wait 1-3 intervals, before you can start the construction of new buildings.
- You are dumb in beeing a commander: No panic. You learn how to use your money, when you follow my little guide :P

GCR
- A crewmember died, who supprted you with money: Not good. If he was a very high-ranked guy, try to save some money by cancelling some constructions. Else, try to limit your current researchs/constructions and think about new constructions more carefully.
- You researched Construction too often or you are constructing too many buildings and lost a lot of money, because you didn't get it: Who cares! Just ask for money and restart your constructions.
- You are dumb in beeing a commander: No panic. You learn how to use your money, when you follow my little guide :P

I hope, the guide helped. You can always contact me or post your questions here.

~Gaegamel

EDIT: How researchs affect your game
Commerce: Increases your salary over time by improving the rate, you get salary.
Construction: Allows to construct available buildings or fastens the process of the construction
Science: Each point in science enables new researchs and also decreases the research-time of other researchs
Habitat: Each new habitat point increases the population cap by 10/level researched. That's known. But what's not is that each new civilian has an influence on two of the other three researches. Each civilian increases the rate, you earn new income (commerce), and decreases the construction time by increasing the gold you have to spend per round (construction).

"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my feet be swift, and my aim be true. And should the worst come to pass....grant me forgiveness."
(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: [Commander]My personal way of researching in 1.370+
PostPosted: 21. Feb 2010, 19:19 
V.I.P
V.I.P

Looks good man :)
Lets hope that people use it :)

Current Projects :
Pet System : 42%
Spells : 34%
Units : 50%
New Website : 41%
Layout : 65%
Text : 25%

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21. Feb 2010, 22:36 
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

i'm not good at it. :)

gonna check it and then answer the pool.;-)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 22. Feb 2010, 12:19 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

If you have read the "how a submission gets approval", then you would know, that only approved guides are good ones ^^ (not to mention, that approved guides also give a bonus in posts ^^)

"Amonkira, Lord of Hunters. Grant that my hands be steady, my feet be swift, and my aim be true. And should the worst come to pass....grant me forgiveness."
(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 23. Feb 2010, 01:46 
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

If i must to be honest, i don't care about those numers of my post, and others. ;)
Oh. I'm checking it. If a guide help me, that means that guilde will help others(hard newbies) too.(i have problems with focusing and with remembrance[cant remember things]).

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 19. Mar 2010, 07:03 

same advice as the healing one

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 21. Mar 2010, 10:14 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Made the guide more eye-friendly.

(Thane, Mass Effect 2)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 29. Apr 2010, 11:52 
Corporal
Corporal

I'll try the GCR strategy ;)

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 30. Apr 2010, 04:02 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

try my strategy screw every one and spam income xD

Report this post
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: 7. Jul 2010, 18:45 
Private
Private

Ok... i can see this guide is good... But, i start to play with Commander yesterday, so someone can explain what i get when the each reaearch is done?

Report this post
 Profile E-mail